This joyful recipe has been submitted to us by our Patron Ms Sarahana, a research scholar in the field of Environment and Development.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (maida)
- 1 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinche of salt, 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil [neutral in flavour]
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- fresh lemon juice from 2 small lemons
- lemon zest
Glaze / Syrup
- 3 tbsp icing sugar or powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- water (if required)
- Preheat your oven.
- Prepare a dry mixture using the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Cream oil, sugar, lemon juice together in a large bowl. Add the lemon zest and finally add the lukewarm water and mix well.
- Pour this batter into the dry mixture and mix everything well together.
- Pour the entire batter in a greased baking pan.
- Sprinkle some lemon zest at the top of the set batter.
- Bake at 180℃ for 30-35 minutes.
- To test for doneness, insert a toothpick/knife into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean, it’s done.
Glazing / Syrup
- Take a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice until smooth. (The consistency should be thin. Add more water if the mixture is thick.)
Adding the syrup to thew cake
- When the cake comes down to the room temperature.
- Using a toothpick, poke small tiny holes from the surface of the cake to the middle.
(Caution: Make sure to NOT add a high amount of the syrup as it makes the cake too undesirably damp instead of moist)